Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Why We Write Blogs

Why is it so hard for me to write a blog? It oght to be a cinch after writing four books and editing two others. But I find myself stalled just as badly as when, like many writers, I would dry up during the writing of a book. Suddenly you find yourself finding excuses -- first I need to play three computer games, like an athlete doing his warmup stretches before a game begins. Or I need to look up something on the internet, usually something I might need three chapters later. Or anything to distract me from actually writing a blog, like the legendary sharpening of pencils before setting down to writing, back in the days when we used pencils instead of computers to write with. Why?

My best guess is that I'm discouraged by my problems in setting my books up to be sold via the internet, but also my inabioity to find an effective way to make internet users aware that they existe and of interest to readers in their field. When I sell books in local stores or fairs I do it by attracting passersby  to listen to my story, person to person. How can I reproduce this situation on the internet, so the story goes out and creates public interest .without my physical presence? I know it can be done, since many people do it successfully. I'm hoping some of them will respond to my blog and give me some good advice.



2 comments:

  1. I bet most writers can relate to this, Nora. Also some of us are just busy trying to make a living. Because you've put it out there. I will now tweet, pin, google, LinkedIn and Facebook it to my friends and followers. That's how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora,
    The most challenging thing I've found while marketing books using the newest media is that I don't often know the latest terms. They proliferate like rabbits. Each day I see new acronyms on Twitter or Facebook and feel like a total Luddite.We have to stick with it and maybe one day we'll be able to make up some new terms.

    ReplyDelete