Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Art as communication

Today I have been meditating on art, especially on art as communication. As usual as such moments, when communication fails me, I fall back on my Dictionary of Quotations, and find bits of treasure.

Shall I share them with my friends who share so much with me? Here are a few delicious thoughts by some great communicators:

Somerset Maaugham in 'The Summing Up,' sums it up: "There is nothing but art. Art is living. . ."
"Art comes to you proposing frankly to give nothing but the highest quality to your moments as they pass." writes Walter Pater.

H. L. Mencken provides one of my favorites: "The true function of art is to . . . edit nature and so make it coherent and lovely. The artist is a sort of impassioned proofreader, blue-penciling the bad spelling of God."

I love Al Capp's comment on abstract art: "A product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered."

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment